Game of two halves for U11 Lions

Saturday 27th April 2013
Mid Solent Youth League U11 Challenge Cup Semi Final
Crofton Saints U11 Lions V AFC Portchester Castles U11
Stubbington Recreation Ground

This was a game of two halves for the Lions: Dominant and dangerous in the first, but falling away defensively in the second. The Lions got the tie underway and were soon testing the visitors defence to the full. However, despite plenty of toil and endeavour from the home side it wasn’t until the 20th minute that the Lions finally got their noses in front. But not before Portchester had almost snatched a lead entirely against the run of play. A mistake in the home defence led to the visitors having a shot on goal - Fortunately the well-hit effort passed just wide of the near post. The Lions were awarded a free kick 30 yards out on their right. Adam Hatton stepped up to take the kick and blasted the ball goal-wards. Kai Sterne attempted to get his head to the ball and this seemed to distract the keeper, allowing the ball to end up in the back of the net. It was a trifle fortuitous, but no more than the Lions deserved. The Lions still pressed forward and in the 21st minute extended their lead – again through a free kick. Adam Hatton fired the ball forward and Kai Sterne picked it up just outside the six-yard-box on the right. He took the ball in his stride and lashed it into the far corner of the net.
The second half started off fairly even with both side threatening each others defence. But then the visitors began to exert severe pressure on the Lions goal and the home keeper was forced into making several last-ditch saves. The Lions defence, which had been so solid in the first half, was at sixes and sevens and looking very fragile indeed. On several occasions the Lions defence embarked on a suicidal policy of leaving it to each other in and around the six yard area and almost paid the price. They were certainly riding their luck. It didn’t mean that the Lions were spent as an attacking force and the visitors defence had to work hard to keep the Lions in check going forward. Nevertheless, one had the worrying feeling that if Portchester scored one, then they might easily score two, getting them right back in the mix. As the match ran down, the Lions never really looked close to extending their lead but were certainly doing enough in attack to help relieve the pressure on what had become a very shaky defence. This allowed them to run out winners in what could have been a much different result had Portchester managed to pull a goal or two back.

Final Score:  Crofton Saints Lions  2 - 0  AFC Portchester Castles

Lions Scorers: Adam Hatton and Kai Sterne.
The Lions will now play Gosport FC Arrows in the final at Cams Alders, Fareham, on Thursday 2nd May, Kick Off  6.15pm.

1 Comment

Glen Couchman - May 2nd, 2013 at 7:59am

Good luck Crofton in your final tonight,hope to be there myself to cheer you on,all the best. Glen Locksheath Lions.




no categories


no tags