Official Trophy Supplier
Shocked to concede two early goals...
by Matt Milham on November 18th, 2019

Shocked to concede two early goals Pumas fought back to record a well earned victory

Pumas welcomed Whiteley to the Crofton School field on a bright sunny day with long grass, and soft conditions, suggesting a taxing match. Play began with Whiteley gaining the lion’s share of possession, and the Pumas were shocked by an early goal for the visitors. A ball through the centre of defence was picked up by WILLIAMS who struck a fine shot into the roof of the Pumas goal.

Whiteley continued to win the majority of early possession and the Pumas were finding it difficult to attain their regular passing game on the difficult surface. However a fine ball from Miller saw Davey through on goal and the striker watched the keeper save the shot with his feet. Bowen –Thomas then presented Davey with a similar opportunity however, this time the striker saw his hard hot just rise over the crossbar.

Much to Crofton’s dismay it was Whiteley who registered a further goal. A free kick on the visitor’s right by GRIFFITHS was swung in on gaol from about 20 yards deceiving the keeper and ending up in the net. 0-2. Pumas however, were not lacking confidence and a shot-cum-cross from Davey on the left wing was not held by the visitor’s keeper, and an alert MILLER pounced on the rebound to reduce the deficit. Encouraged by the goal Pumas maintained pressure on the visitors and Rawlings made a fine run through the middle and watched the keeper push away his shot which was seized by LIGHTon the edge of the area and smashed into the corner of the Whiteley goal. 2-2

Corcoran was the next Pumas to have an opportunity and a fine ball from Davey was taken into the box but the shot pulled just wide of the keeper’s right hand post. Corcoran then turned provider when a neat through ball from midfield was collected by Light and his hard shot unluckily struck the bar. Half time 2-2

Crofton began the second period on the front foot and a shot from distance by DAVEY arrowed across the six yard box struck the left hand post - bounced across and struck the right hand post - and deservedly ended in the net to give the home side the advantage. Davey then picked up a ball in midfield and drove onto towards goal under considerable physical attention from two defenders, however the strikers got a good shot away, which was just saved by the keeper but again picked up by MILLER who registered his second of the morning. 4-2

Lloyd was the next provider, winning a challenge on the left wing, before setting DAVEY in on goal and this time the striker gave the visiting keeper no chance shooting firmly past him into the corner. DAVEY was now firmly in the mood and a ball picked up about 30 yards from goal was cracked into the net past the keeper’s right hand. 6-2

To their credit Whiteley were still attempting to get forwards and a free kick wide on the Pumas right was swung in, evaded all but the marauding DIAPA on the far post who shot home to reduce the arrears. The goal was the final action of the morning as, immediately after the re start, the referee brought a halt to proceedings with the home side running out as worthy victors.

Final score: Crofton Pumas 6 Whiteley Wanderers 3.

Posted in not categorized    Tagged with no tags


Leave a Comment

no categories
no tags